Monday, August 26, 2013

Bookworm IV

Due to not having any semester breaks because I'm doing a short sem, I only managed to read one book. Honestly, I bought the book ages ago but, being  final year students.. we don't have free time that much.

Quiet : The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking by Susan Cain


I bought this book because of the title. I was intrigued because I am an introvert myself and I wonder if this book can truly help me with my 'social awkwardness'. Truthfully, I thought I'm going to get bored of this book (for some reason, motivational books always bore me) but, I didn't. Yup, I didn't get bored of this book so, it proves that this book is worth reading. LOL.
Anyway, as seen by the title, this book is about introverts. It tells about how a person become an introvert and how they cope with it. There are scientific research and interviews done by the author which I found interesting. You can actually test if you are an introvert or extrovert as young as a few years old. It said that if you easily get irritated by new sounds or environment when you are a baby, it means you're sensitivity level is high thus, making you an introvert. It is vice versa to the extrovert.

It also teaches you how to cope in being an introvert. This is the section I find helpful because I can relate to it and the suggestions given are useful and logical. The author also mentioned some famous people who are introverts like Dr Seuss and Rosa Parks. She said that, introverts can also become loud and 'expose' themselves to public in giving presentations, demonstrations..etc without draining their energy. They just need a lot of time to be alone to rejuvenate. Now, I don't feel so guilty when I rather stay at home during weekend curl on my bed with a nice book and hot cocoa instead of going out to face the bustling and crowded outdoor. Heh. 

That is all folks. Now, I have to continue with my studies. -___-

No comments: