Sunday, February 5, 2012

Bookworm III

Ahh..the semester breaks are here again. And as usual, being a bookworm,I read some books to fulfill my holidays. :)

Adrian Mole: The Prostrate Years by Sue Townsend.


I f you read my previous posts, you would know that I am a big fan of the Adrian Mole series. This is the latest installment of the series. I guess I'm wrong by saying Adrian Mole & The Weapon of Mass Destruction is the last book of the series. Anyway, Adrian is getting old and after getting married to Daisy he finds his life is still complicated as always. People still don't appreciate his literacy knowledge & his relationship with women and finance is disastrous like usual. Still, there are humour in it. I will chuckle to myself when I read this book.

The Last Juror by John Grisham.


I'm not a big fan of books that requires me to think seriously (exception to the books written by Queen of Crime Novels, Agatha Christie) but, I think this book is okay. I read this book because it is written by John Grisham & people say he is good at writing stories that had to do with LAW (since he is a lawyer himself). And  those people, knowing that I'm doing Law, told me to read it. Soo, at first I find that the pacing of the story is kinda slow..maybe because the writer wants to introduce the characters to the readers. After a few chapters, the pace speeds up & gets interesting. In my opinion, the best part in the book is during the trials as it include Law references AND when they reveal the killer. I was shocked when I knew who the killer was. Totally not who I expect it to be & that's why I think.. I will read more books by John Grisham. Hehe. :P

Sweet Offerings by Chan Ling Yap.


I love books where the background of the story is situated in my country. This book tells a story about a young chinese girl during the late 1930s-1960s. As The Rice Mother by Rani Manicka revolves around an indian family living in Malaya, this book revolves around a chinese family. How they live & think is interesting to me. I get a glimpse through their thinking & culture. :)

The Japanese Lover by Rani Manicka.


I love how Rani Manicka write with such details & descriptions that I  feel like I can visualize the surroundings, smell the fragrance and feel the emotions. This book is about an indian girl who went and live in Malaya because of an arranged marriage. I like how the girl transform from being someone so quiet to someone who is confident. Still, I prefer her previous book, The Rice Mother. I read that book countless of time & it never makes me feel bored. :)

Peony in Love by Lisa See.


This is the second book by Lisa See that I've read. And I think it is interesting. As I love to read about other cultures, this book tells me more about the Hungry Ghost Festival and how again, the women were oppressed in those days. I'm looking forward to read more books by her. :)

So far, that's all I've read. I will tell you guys more when I discover other new books. ;)

*Currently searching for A Suitable Boy by Vikram Seth. Apparently, there's none of it in Malaysia. Great. =_=

3 comments:

Azureen said...

wow! nice books review, bfirst! keep it up!

Lily said...

Elok lah bace buku. I'm busy working!!!

Bfirst said...

To Zureen:
Thanks zureen. :)

To Lily:
:)